Your responsibilities

Here we answer some of the most frequently asked questions on your rights and responsibilities.

Naturally, you have many rights as a tenant of Charlton Triangle Homes. But it's important you understand your responsibilities as well, because if you don't keep to the conditions of your tenancy, it's possible you could lose your home. If you have a joint tenancy, this applies to both people. For example, every tenant is responsible for paying the rent and for any missed payments. Also, if one joint tenant quits the tenancy, then it will end for both tenants.

If you have any problem with your tenancy, contact us as soon as possible. We can offer advice and support and, if you wish, put you in touch with other people who can help.

Below are some frequently asked questions. For more information, please refer to your tenancy agreement.

Gardens, balconies & security grilles

Some of our ground floor flats and houses have gardens. If your tenancy includes your own private garden, you must keep it clean and tidy and free of rubbish. You must seek our written permission before putting a shed or other substantial structure in your garden, including high fencing, which presents a community safety issue. (3ft fencing with trellis is permissible as this reduces the community safety risk whilst affording more privacy for the tenant). Similarly if you have a private or shared balcony, it must be kept clean and tidy and free of rubbish and obstructions including privately installed balcony gates.

You are not permitted to install front door metal security grilles in order to comply with current fire safety best practice and you will be asked to remove the grille.

Going away for a long period

If you’re going to be away from home for more than 28 days, you must tell us in writing. You’ll also need to give us your contact details while you’re away, and tell us your arrangements for paying the rent and meeting any other terms of your tenancy.

Please remember, you’re not allowed to sub-let your home.

Can I run a business from my home

You can, as long as running your business will not cause a nuisance or annoy other residents. You’ll also need our written permission first. You must not use your home for any illegal or immoral purpose.

Can I install an aerial or satellite

You can’t if you live in a block of flats. If you do, we’ll have to charge you for the cost of removing it. If you live in a house, you’ll need our permission first. All residents living in flats can access digital TV through our communal aerial systems, and we’ll explain how this works when you move in.

Antisocial behaviour

We do not tolerate any harassment or anti-social behaviour. It’s a fundamental condition of your tenancy that you do not harass or intimidate anyone, including your neighbours, staff and contractors. Doing so will put your tenancy at risk.

Vehicles and parking

If your vehicle is not licensed or roadworthy and it’s on our land, it’s likely to be towed away – even if you have a SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification). If you own any other kind of vehicle such as a caravan or a van you use for business, you’ll need permission to park it on our land.

Keep up to date

Sign up to receive the latest updates from Charlton Triangle Homes

Keep up to date