Rights and responsibilities

Find out about your rights and responsibilities as a tenant of Charlton Triangle Homes.

Your home

It is important that you understand your duties as a tenant as well as your rights: if you do not keep to the conditions of your tenancy, we can take action which may result in you losing your home. If you have a joint tenancy, this applies to both you and your partner. For example, each joint tenant is responsible for paying the rent and for any missed payments (rent arrears). If one joint tenant serves a notice to quit, then the tenancy will end for both tenants.

If you are having problems with any aspect of your tenancy, please contact us as soon as possible. We can offer advice and support and, with your agreement, we may be able to put you in touch with other agencies which can help.

Here we answer some of the frequently answered questions on your rights and responsibilities. For more information please refer to your tenancy agreement.

Gardens, balconies & security grilles

Some of our ground floor flats and houses have gardens. If your tenancy includes your own private garden, you must keep it clean and tidy and free of rubbish. You must seek our written permission before putting a shed or other substantial structure in your garden, including high fencing, which presents a community safety issue. ( 3ft fencing with trellis is permissible as this reduces the community safety risk whilst affording more privacy for the tenant. Similarly if you have a private or shared balcony, it must be kept clean and tidy and free of rubbish and obstructions including privately installed balcony gates.

You are not permitted to install front door metal security grilles in order to comply with current fire safety best practice and you will be asked to remove the grille.

Going away for a long period

If you are going to be away from home for more than 28 days you must tell us in writing. You need to tell us where we can contact you and what arrangements you have made to pay the rent and meet the other terms of your tenancy in your absence.

Please remember you are not permitted to sublet your home.

Can I run a business from my home

Please bear in mind that you cannot run a business from your home unless we give you permission in writing, although we will not usually refuse your request unless there are good reasons, e.g. that it would cause a nuisance or annoy other people. You must also not use your home for any illegal or immoral purpose.

Can I install an aerial or satellite

You may not install an aerial or satellite dish on the outside of your property if you live in a block of flats. If you do so, we will remove it and charge the cost of its removal back to you. If you live in a house, you need to get our permission for any installation including satellite dishes and aerials. All our tenants living in flats are able to access digital television through our communal aerial systems and how this works will be explained to you when you move in.

Antisocial behaviour

Charlton Triangle Homes has a zero tolerance of harassment and antisocial behaviour.

It is a fundamental condition of your tenancy that you do not harass or intimidate anyone, including your neighbours, staff and contractors.

Such behaviour will put your tenancy with us at risk.

Vehicles and parking

Please be aware that if your vehicle is not licensed or roadworthy, you may not keep it on our land, and it is likely to be towed away if you do so. We would like to point out that making a SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification) will not exempt you from this rule because it does not apply to vehicles kept on private land belonging to someone other than yourself. If you own any other kind of vehicle such as a caravan or a van used for business purposes, you must get our permission to park it on our land.

Keep up to date

Sign up to receive the latest updates from Charlton Triangle Homes

Keep up to date