Ending your tenancy

We hope that you will enjoy living in your home for many years, as many of our tenants do. But we also understand that if your circumstances change, you may need to move.

Your home


We understand there are many reasons for needing to move home and we may be able to assist you.

You may need to move away urgently for personal reasons, for example, if you are suffering domestic violence or if you have developed an illness or a disability which makes it impossible for you to manage in your present home. Please let us know and we can work with you to find a solution.

If you are getting older and would like to move into sheltered accommodation, we can advise you and assist you to find a suitable scheme in the area.

If you feel the need to move because of nuisance or harassment outside your home but are otherwise quite happy to live there, please let us know as soon as possible, so that we can take action on your behalf. Only in the most extreme circumstances should it be necessary for you to move away for this kind of reason, but if we agree that there is no alternative, then we will do everything we can to help you.

What you need to do before moving out.

  • Write to us giving four weeks’ notice of your leaving date. You will have to pay rent up to this date. (If you leave without giving us any notice, you will still be liable for the rent for that period).
  • Let us in to inspect your home if necessary. If we find that the inside of your house or flat is in poor condition due to neglect or damage, we may have to charge you to put it right. If you have made any improvements, these will have to be left in place or you will have to reinstate the original fittings or layout. We may also ask you to let us show a new tenant round, so that we can re-let the property as quickly as possible.
  • Contact the companies supplying your electricity, gas and water and your telephone line to let them know the date you are leaving. You may need to take final meter readings, but they will tell you about that. If you are claiming any benefits, you will also need to inform the Council Tax and Housing Benefits offices and the Benefits Agency of your new address.
  • Get your mail redirected. The Post Office will be able to help you with this.
  • Pack up all your belongings and dispose of any rubbish. This includes carpets and any flooring you have laid. Please leave your home  as clean as possible for the next tenant. The property must be cleared and you may be charged if we have to remove furniture, carpets and possession you have left behind. Anything you leave behind will be thrown away, so make sure you have taken everything with you.
  • Return the property keys to us on the day your tenancy ends (or before midday on Monday if it ends at the weekend). You should hand in your keys to one of our staff or put the keys in an envelope clearly marked with your name and address and post them through our letter box.

Keep up to date

Sign up to receive the latest updates from Charlton Triangle Homes

Keep up to date