Repairs to your home

As a leaseholder, you are responsible for most of the repairs that might occur inside your property.

Your home

As a landlord we are responsible for some repair and maintenance for the structure of the building, communal areas, and communal systems. Generally we don’t have repair obligations for the interior of the property (all our repair obligations are laid out in your lease and you should always check this before contacting us to report a repair).

Our responsibilities for repairs includes:

  1. The structure of the building
  • roof repairs
  • rainwater pipes and gutters
  • external drains, soil pipes and sewers
  • damp-proofing works
  • brickwork
  • floor joists
  1. Communal systems
  • door entry systems
  • district heating
  • communal TV aerials
  • lifts
  1. Communal areas

If in doubt about what falls under your or our responsibility, you should always check your lease before contacting us to report a repair..

Freeholder repairs

Freeholders are generally responsible for all external and internal repairs to their buildings.

Reporting a repair

If you think the repair is our responsibility, please call us on 020 8319 8870 to report the repair or contact us online. You should advise our staff that you are a leaseholder. We will confirm whether or not we can do the repair and, if appropriate, will arrange an appointment for a contractor to visit. Sometimes it may be necessary for one of our surveyors to visit you to inspect the problem first and if so the Customer Services Officer will make you an appointment.

Emergency repairs

Emergency repairs are required when there are serious health and safety and/or security risks, or where immediate work is needed to prevent major damage to your home. In these cases we will raise an order for the contractor to visit as quickly as possible and complete the work or make your home safe within 24 hours. Emergency repairs can include:

  • Lift breakdowns
  • Complete loss of electricity – we are responsible for any faults up to the meter in your property. If the fault is your side of the meter, you must call out your own electrician.
  • Damage to windows or doors frames which makes the home insecure
  • Blocked communal drains where there is only one WC

Please remember you are responsible for most emergencies inside your home and you should call your own contractor, not the Charlton Triangle Homes repairs service. If you call out the emergency repairs contractor for a repair which is subsequently deemed not to be an emergency, you will be charged for the cost of the work. You will also be re-charged if you use the out of hours service instead of a private contractor.

If you need to report a repair outside office opening hours, including at weekends or on a public holiday, please check that the repair is a Priority 1 (emergency) repair. If you are sure it is, then please ring 0300 123 3456. This is the Out of Hours Hotline, which will arrange for a contractor to visit your home within 24 hours. The contractor will do their best to complete the work, but may have to simply make things safe or do a temporary repair until the usual contractor can come on the next working day.

If the repair is not an emergency, please wait until our office is open and report it in the normal way.

Please be aware that if you call out the emergency repairs contractor for a repair which is subsequently deemed not to be an emergency, you will be charged for the cost of the work. Also, please remember that as a leaseholder you are responsible for internal repairs to your home – such as plumbing or boiler breakdowns – and you will be re-charged if you try to use the out of hours service instead of a private contractor

Communal repairs

Communal repairs are repairs that involved shared areas within your building. If you need to report a communal repair, please contact the Charlton Triangle Homes office on 020 8319 8870.

You will not be charged immediately for this repair, but this will be reflected in your annual service charge.

Servicing gas boilers

As a leaseholder you are responsible for servicing your gas boiler and appliances.

Alterations and improvements

Before you consider improvements, additions or alterations to your home, check your lease to see what is allowed. Some alterations are not permitted and we need to give written permission for others before you can begin.

We will not refuse permission without good reason, for example, if the alterations would make the property unsafe. You should not start work before you have gained permission as under the terms of your lease you can be made to put your home back to its original state before you started the work.

If you would like to make a request for an alteration to your home, please contact us.

The Process

Our surveyor will visit your property to ensure the works won’t cause any problems to the building. After permission to proceed has been provided and the works have been carried out, our surveyor will have to visit your property to check the works before we grant formal consent. You will need to provide completion certificate and professional installation certificates e.g. gas/electrical certificates.

It must be noted that not all home improvements will increase the value of your property by the amount you spend, so careful consideration should be taken before undertaking home improvements. We will not allow any changes that would jeopardise fire safety, e.g. changing entrance doors.

If you proceed to carry out home improvements without prior consent from us, you may be required to re-instate it to the original layout and be liable for all costs.

Structural changes

If your lease does not permit structural alterations, we will not grant your any consent to carry out this type of work.

Keep up to date

Sign up to receive the latest updates from Charlton Triangle Homes

Keep up to date