Gas safety

Gas safety advice for residents.

Gas appliances need to be serviced annually. If they're in poor condition, they may be dangerous.

If you smell gas or suspect there may be a gas leak, call the National Grid Gas Emergency freephone number on 0800 111 999.

Gas safety for tenants

If there's a gas fire or gas hot water system in your home, our gas servicing contractor will arrange to inspect it once a year. The engineer will give you a copy of the landlord's gas safety record (or CP12), the annual gas check certificate.

Our gas servicing contractor will contact you to let you know when your inspection is due and make an appointment. It's very important the check is carried out. If you don't let our contractor into your home, you will be in breach of your tenancy agreement and we may have to take action against you.

We recommend you test your heating by switching it on in September to make sure it's working before the weather changes. If your heating isn't working, please contact us.

If you think a gas appliance in your home may be unsafe, please contact our customer service immediately.

Gas safety for leaseholders

You need to have your gas appliances inspected and serviced annually. If you don't do this you may be in breach of your lease. The inspection must be carried out by an installer approved by the Gas Safe register. You should ask to see your installer's Gas Safe registration certificate.

You must be able to produce proof of the inspection and service. We may perform random checks to make sure this work has been carried out.

If you sublet your home

Leaseholders who sublet have additional responsibilities under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998. This means you must:

  • Make sure gas appliances, pipe work and flues are in a safe condition.
  • Keep records of safety checks for at least two years.
  • Make sure your tenant is given a copy of the landlord's gas safety record – the annual gas check certificate, also called a CP12 – within 28 days of the inspection.
  • Make sure new tenants receive copies of the most recent landlord's gas safety record before they move in.

Find out more

For more advice, you can contact the Health and Safety Executive gas safety advice line on 0800 300363.

Keep up to date

Sign up to receive the latest updates from Charlton Triangle Homes

Keep up to date